Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Acceptance for Up With People

To give everyone an idea of what I will be doing from July till December, I have tried to summarize my Up With People story. In the last part, I will dicuss the fee and what this amount generates.

At the beginning of November, the organisation Up With People was in Belgium. To be honest, I had never heard about it before then. Because of its unique combination of community work and benefit shows with world cultural elements, it grabbed my attention. The brief behind-the-scene tour provided a lot of typical cliché happy messages, but also a glimpse of an organisation with a unique spirit.

After a couple of google sessions and conversations with other people about the organisation, it became clear to me: "I should just do it". Hopefully I will graduate in June and then there is nothing stopping me to grab this challenging opportunity.

Few weeks after filling in the application, I received the invitation for an interview. Instead of the regular 1 hour interview, it went on for 2,5 hours. Afterwards we even went to a joint informal dinner. Positive interview experience. Already a week later, the good news came: I was one of the lucky members of the July Cast 2008.

Now the hard part comes. Convincing everyone of the ideas behind Up With People. It is fascinating to respond to numerous critical and enthusiastic questions about Up With People. Not always easy, but very interesting to broaden one's vision.
From July onwards, I will be posting messages. All the different projects and experiences will be described, hopefully illustrated with some nice pictures. Feel free to comment on any message or to contact me with questions.

No comments: